An Introduction to Backcountry Camping & Packing Clinic
- Package Deal for all 3 Spring Dates $1500.00 or $300.00 per day
These clinics are designed to be a progressive series that will introduce horse owners to backcountry camping and packing. The 3 dates will introduce and teach participants all the basic skills needed so that you will be ready to try an adventure on your own.
- #1 - April 29th / 30th
- Introduction to the basics. No outside horses required, we will supply all gear and horses needed for this clinic. Discussion & demonstration will include
- Different types of camping with horses available to us in Alberta and the locations.
- What basic skills do you and the horses need to make this a fun safe experience.
- Techniques / demonstrations on how to highline, hobble and feed horses while camping.
- Conversation around menus, food prep and the variety of supplies needed or required.
- Discussion around Basic First Aid supplies for both horses and people. As well as the different types of devices & services available for emergency contact while in the backcountry.
- Learn about the variety of packing options available to people and which ones are best suited for each person's skill level.
- #2 - May 27th / 28th
- Now that you have been given the basics and had a month to wrap your head around everything, it’s time to try your hand at it. We welcome personal horses and equipment to this clinic. This is basically a mini test run to help you work out any kinks while having the support of knowledgeable people around to assist you. We will go over your equipment for proper fit, help and or make suggestions when balancing your loads and tying your diamonds. Since this is an overnight clinic it’s also a great place to test some of your meal ideas.
- #3 - June 23rd, 24th & 25th
- This is where your practice pays off, as we will be heading into the backcountry for a weekend away. With us there to support and assist you along the way, you can feel safe and secure knowing you're not alone. Not only will we help you with your packs and horses but offer suggestions on appropriate campsites and highline locations. We will discuss a variety of different and potential scenarios that can arise while in the backcountry. Our hope is by the end of this trip that you not only have the basic skills but also the comfort level to try an adventure on your own over the summer months.
- Optional 4th Date - Extended Pack Trip
- We hope you have and are willing to experience backcountry camping on your own but understand that you may want to spend an extended length of time or possibly travel further into the mountains then your gear or comfort level will allow. So we are proposing that you join a pack trip with us. Basically you would still bring your own horses and gear but we would pack the extra supplies and horse feed required for a longer trip. As well as provide the support and knowledge that is required for you to enjoy more remote trails or travel into new areas. A mix of fly camp locations and our main camp will be used to create a fantastic way for you to explore and travel into new territory while building your skills and confidence. We will prepare a few meals for the group allowing you to relax and truly enjoy your new activity.
- Price for this type of adventure to be discussed with any interested parties.